Saturday 22 September 2012

Portfolio: September 2012


Hi guys! Have not been updating my blog much as have been very busy with work and family matters recently.
Well, my granddad passed away recently. During this time, it led me to reflect on how important it is to spend time with your loved ones while they are still around.
Though financial freedom is my ultimate goal, it is important that along the journey, we do not neglect relationships with those we care. Relationships take efforts too.

I heard a phrase from Zig Ziglar many years ago which states "Be grateful of what you have, while in pursuit of what you want". I found it a very enlightening philosophy and have been subscribing to this ever since.
 
Looking back, I am thankful and have no regrets that during my sabbatical 3 years ago, I spent more time accompanying my grandad on walks on his wheelchair, listening to his WW2 stories and how he survived.  I got to know him better and I will remember his happy-go-lucky spirit and bravery for life. In short, in our hustling and bustling city life, do remember to take extra effort to treasure those around you, ya!

  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Now for my portfolio commentary.
The month of September saw the market value of my portfolio increase.
This was mainly attributed to the 13% surge in the share price of UE & 11.5% for Wing Tai over the past month.




Actions taken in Sept:

 -Nil

Overall strategy: 

My top 3 holdings are still:
1) Frasers Centrepoint Trust, 6% yield, Holding for stable CASHFLOW
2) Stamford Land, 4% yield, Holding for large % CAPITAL GAIN
3) United Engineers, 4% yield, Holding for large % CAPITAL GAIN

The stock market is fairly valued in general, and I cannot predict if it will go up or down......well, even Buffett says he can't, who can? Most stocks are indeed more expensive versus at the start of the year.
I am keeping my small pile of cash aside as usual while waiting.


Nonetheless, a key fact, which is driving my investment hypothesis is that regulators around the world are clamping down on financial regulations and auditing standards. Just my feel from the ground, talking to various people, plus the news and reports around.
So in general, though the growth going forward might be curtailed, it is actually more solid and sustainable. That is the reason why I still have a substantial % of my portfolio invested.  

No comments:

Post a Comment